Professional Preventative Dentistry at VP Dental
What Is Preventative Dentistry?
Preventative dentistry with your cosmetic and family dentistry involves establishing habits that will keep your teeth healthy help you avoid cavities, gum disease, enamel wear, and more. During your regular visit to VP Dental, your dental hygienist will point out any issues that you may be having with your oral hygiene. Your hygienist will perform a cleaning, dental exam, an oral cancer exam, and take any necessary X-rays.
We will also evaluate the appearance of your teeth and recommend any aesthetic procedures that will enhance your smile, such as cosmetic or orthodontic procedures. Our goal has been a whole-body health approach ever since we began serving patients in Raleigh, NC and the surrounding areas.
Preventing Tooth Decay
Establishing at-home oral hygiene habits is essential to keeping your teeth healthy. Brushing twice a day for at least two minutes and flossing after eating will help to remove plaque and decay. Plaque is difficult to remove and the best at-home habits may not be enough to keep it a bay. This is why it is so important to schedule regular dental visits and allow our trained staff of oral hygienists to catch any problems that may be lurking before they become serious.
How Can Your Raleigh Cosmetic and Family Dentistry Can Help
Here at VP Dental, we provide a wide array of preventative care. Here are some of the services that we provide to our valued patients in and around Raleigh, North Carolina:
- • Occlusal Night Guards: sleep bruxism is a common problem and difficult to shake, so we can make you a custom occlusal night guard to protect your teeth from damage until the issue can be resolved.
- • Oral B Toothbrush: great for removing food particles and plaque from your teeth and gums. An Oral B brush is much more effective at cleaning hard-to-reach areas and clears away 100 percent more plaque than manual brushes!
- • Oral Cancer Screenings: early detection through oral cancer screenings have been shown to increase the survival rate to 80% and better, which is why it’s so important to have this simple test done.
- • Rotadent: one of a few electric toothbrushes we recommend as a cosmetic and family dentistry, Rotadent is particularly good at fighting tea or coffee stains on teeth.
- • Silver Diamine Fluoride: a compound that helps fight tooth decay in children who are especially vulnerable to it. The silver helps fight harmful microbes in your child’s mouth while strengthening the dentin layer of their teeth, and the fluoride fights and prevents tooth decay.
- • Sonicare Toothbrush: breaks down plaque using sonic wave technology to vibrate as many as 30,000 cycles per minute. We particularly recommend these brushes for patients with gum recession or sensitive gums because they are so gentle on the gum tissue.
- • VELscope: a light-based detection system that makes it easier to spot problem areas in the mouth and throat. This is an essential tool for detecting oral cancer early on.
- • Waterpik: a water flossing system that makes flossing fast, easy and effective. It does all of the work allowing you to have healthier gums and brighter teeth in only about a minute a day.
Help Us Help You Take Care of Your Teeth!
Our recommendation is to visit VP Dental for regular cleanings and preventative treatments. When you do, it makes it possible for us to detect and address any problems early on, before they can become more complex (and costly) to fix.
If you live in or near Raleigh, NC and do not have an appointment scheduled, please reach out to us by calling (919) 230-6121 or sending us an email. Here at VP Dental, we’re excited to help keep you healthy and happy!