8 Tips for Choosing a Cosmetic Dentist
Since cosmetic dentistry isn’t actually recognized by the American Dental Association (ADA) as a specialty, any dentist can claim to be a cosmetic dentist. This makes it more difficult to find a dentist who has the credentials and skills to deal with cosmetic cases. If you’re searching for a dentist practicing cosmetic dentistry in Raleigh, NC here are some helpful tips to keep in mind to ensure you make a wise decision.
The Difference Between Cosmetic Dentistry and General Dentistry
Before you begin searching for a Raleigh dentist specializing in cosmetic dentistry, it’s important to know the difference between cosmetic dentistry and general dentistry. The difference comes down to training and the work that they perform. On top of the education and training needed to become a general dentist, cosmetic dentists undergo extra education and training so they can hone in on the cosmetic area of dentistry.
A general dentist usually focuses on fixing dental problems that cause discomfort or pain and good oral hygiene. They focus on pulling teeth, filling cavities, routine dental checkups, root canals, and other types of dental repairs. Although a general dentist may offer limited cosmetic procedures, cosmetic dentists provide many different cosmetic procedures, such as design smiles, cosmetic porcelain veneers, color matching, and dental veneers designed to match surrounding teeth. Quality cosmetic dentists will look at the relationship of every tooth to your lip line and your smile, ensuring your smile looks great. A cosmetic dentist stays informed on the latest trends, technology, and products available to offer patients a healthy, visually pleasing smile.
Tips for Choosing a Cosmetic Dentist
As you begin your search for a cosmetic dentist in Raleigh, NC, keep the following tips in mind.
- Check Their Training – It’s important to know what type of training the cosmetic dentist has accomplished. Cosmetic dentists who receive ongoing training from accredited organizations will be up to date on the latest techniques.
- Dental Associations – Although cosmetic dentistry is recognized as a specialty with the ADA, you can check to find out if the dentist is a member of the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry (AACD), which is the most well-known association for this specialty. Being a member of this association shows that the dentist is committed and serious about being in this field, and the AACD works to provide dentists with more educational opportunities and a respected credential.
- Ask for Before and After Photos – It’s a good idea to see a cosmetic dentist’s results before you make your decision, so ask to see before and after photos of real patients. Experienced cosmetic dentists will have online galleries or albums you can review. Specifically ask to see photos of cases similar to your own.
- Check Reviews – Word of mouth reviews are always the best, but it’s also a good idea to look online for reviews of the cosmetic dentist. Not every online review is credible, but a look at reviews can give you a better idea of what to expect.
- Ask About Technology – Find out if the cosmetic dentist is using the latest technologies, such as chair side monitors, dental lasers, intraoral cameras, and digital x-rays. You want to work with someone who stays on the cutting-edge of technology.
- Written Treatment Plan – When you have an initial consultation with a cosmetic dentist to find out if they’re a good fit for your needs, make sure you get a written treatment plan, especially if you need extensive work done to improve your smile. A written treatment plan should include specifics about the treatments needed and the approximate time of treatment completion.
- Consider Payment Options – Does the cosmetic dentist offer payment options? Many cosmetic treatments aren’t covered by insurance, so you’ll probably want to work with someone who offers payment plans or takes credit cards as payment. Ask if the cosmetic dentist works with third party financing, such as Chase Health Advantage or CareCredit.
- Check for Amenities – Not every dentist office is the same. Some have more amenities than others. Make sure to find a cosmetic dentist that offers the amenities that are important to you. These additional amenities can add comfort to any dental procedure.
When you’re trusting your smile to someone, you want to make sure you’re working with the best cosmetic dentist in Raleigh. Cosmetic dentistry is effective and safe, as long as you’re working with an experienced, qualified dentist. A strong, comfortable, beautiful smile can boost self-esteem and improve your quality of life – just make sure you get that smile under the care of a quality, well-trained, experienced cosmetic dentist.